Back when the Nintendo Wii debuted in 2005, the most talked about feature was its groundbreaking Wiimote controller and nunchuck. While its Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 competitors offered traditional controller designs, the Wiimote completely revolutionized the way people play video games.
Little did we know that Nintendo would continue to innovate and build upon the ingenuity of the Wiimote. Now, there is a wide range of different attachments and accessories that interface with the Wiimote in order to transform it into whatever it is that you’re brandishing in any particular game.
The Wii sword is by far the most well adapted accessory for the Wiimote controller, especially considering how many games out on the market today utilize the sword accessory in gameplay. We’ve put together a top 5 list of the best Wii Sword games across a few of the most popular sword-wielding genres.
1. The Legend of Zelda – Twilight Princess: No Wii game makes better use of the Wii sword than the Legend of Zelda. After all, the original Legend of Zelda for the NES console was the quintessential sword game. It was only natural that Nintendo would update the original to take advantage of the new, interactive Wii controller and groundbreaking gameplay. The stunning graphics and intricate plot lines are impressive enough without the addition of the Wii sword, which faithfully recreates your swordplay, translating it to Link’s battles with a host of bad guys. There is no doubt that The Legend of Zelda – Twilight Princess is the first Wii title you should purchase along with your Wii sword.
2. Prince of Persia – Rival Swords: Prince of Persia brings an even darker fantasy world to the Wii, combining a labyrinth-laden world of traps and puzzles with fast-paced one-on-one sword battles. Using the Wii sword allows you to experience incredibly life-like control of your character as you battle your foes level by level. Adding to this is a stunning array of spectacular graphics that will completely captivate your senses. Aside from a few glitches in the game, none of which affect the overall experience, Prince of Persia is a true tour de force for your Wii sword accessory.
3. No More Heroes: It’s easy to develop fantasy-based video games for use with an accessory like the Wii sword. It’s another thing to come up with a completely original game idea that incorporates swordplay with a mature, offbeat plot and setting like No More Heroes. Rather than the Tolkein-esque themes found in most Wii sword games, No More Heroes brings a mature, macabre theme to the gameplay, along with a very dark sense of humor. Swords, guns, and lightsabers all make their way into these duels, wielded by a host of bizarre and offbeat warriors. Definitely not for the kids, but a perfect choice for adults who aren’t really into the fantasy theme.
4. Star Wars: The Force Unleashed: Speaking of lightsabers, no top 5 list would be complete without including a Star Wars title. The Force Unleashed is one of the most mature Star Wars titles to date. Playing the character of Starkiller, you are Darth Vader’s apprentice, and must deal with the good vs. evil axioms of the force as you traverse the plot line of this game. To be sure, The Force Unleashed is just as engaging in design as No More Heroes, however, the plot of the game is a bit short and frustrating. Its saving grace is its swordplay, which works quite well with the Wii sword.
5. Pirates of the Caribbean: It’s important to represent the swashbuckling world of pirates in this list of Wii sword games. However, Pirates of the Caribbean, while impressive in its graphics and interaction with the Wii sword, doesn’t quite match the top 4 of this list in terms of gameplay, plot, and design. The game largely captures the look and feel of the Pirates of the Caribbean movie franchise, which ultimately creates its own sense of what “a pirate’s life” is like. If you’re a huge fan of the films, this is the perfect title for your Wii sword.
Because of the Nintendo Wii’s wild popularity, it’s almost impossible to keep up with the new game titles that are constantly being released. No doubt, a host of new titles for the Wii sword are most likely on their way. However, if you are thinking of purchasing a Wii sword, these five games represent the best of their genres for getting the most out of the Wii sword game accessory.